One Legal has always been committed to improving the speed and efficiency of the justice system. From pioneering fax filing in the 1990s to leading the implementation of electronic court filing today, part of our mission is to make legal services more accessible.
Now, we’ve been hard at work honing ways to support the efforts of legal aid groups across the country. We’re proud to announce a new Giving Back program for nonprofits, which offers discounted services and benefits to qualified organizations who are working to provide legal advice and assistance to underserved communities.
Early on in this endeavor, we began by partnering with one of the main legal aid groups in our own neighborhood of the San Francisco Bay Area. For the last two years, we have donated discounted court services to support BayLegal in their mission to “Provide wraparound legal services to help our clients protect their families, their health, and their livelihoods.”
These donations enable BayLegal to spend more resources on providing aid, and less on dealing with the details.
Now, we have created a new, similar program, which we are opening up to nonprofit organizations across the country.
Helping to meet the need
One Legal understands how critical is the need for legal aid for millions of Americans.
The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) reported that “71% of low-income households experienced at least one civil legal problem in the last year, including problems with health care, housing conditions, disability access, veterans’ benefits, and domestic violence.”
But due to lack of resources, 86% of the civil legal problems reported by low-income Americans were met with inadequate or no legal help. Veterans go without needed benefits. Women in abusive relationships cannot leave. And whole families are wrongfully evicted from their homes.
In the face of budget constraints and insufficient assistance, hundreds of thousands of people stand in need of legal help. And legal aid societies around the country are rising up to provide what counsel and support they can.
For our part, we are excited about the opportunity to lend a hand with improved access to our top-rated court filing and legal service solutions. By utilizing our straightforward solutions at discounted rates, legal aid experts can spend less time on the details and more time on changing people’s lives.
Participating nonprofits will receive:
- Free eFiling and eService
- A 20% discount on all physical services, like physical court filing (where available), physical service of process, courthouse research, and document retrieval
- Simplified billing features and convenient disbursement of court fees upfront
- Comprehensive access to world-class support and customized training
Which organizations are eligible?
We are excited to work with registered nonprofits who are:
- Providing low-income clients with free legal assistance, including advice, counsel, and representation.
- Guiding low-income clients through the legal system, including providing limited scope legal assistance.
- Helping vulnerable and low-income clients to respond to legal situations they are facing, including, for example, responding to evictions and collection notices.
One Legal is thrilled to enter this new era of partnerships together with our valued customers and new nonprofit connections. Thank you for being a part of it all.